Wednesday, October 20, 2010

The 6th W- How. Making a Difference at SMC...

Happy Wednesday Everyone :)

I just finished my classes for the day and just wanted to rest a bit from the hectic lifestyle I have been living these past couple of days. As most of you guys know, studying for that big test can be really draining. It's midterm season at Saint Mike's so I have a big paper and 2 tests these next 2 weeks, so I've been feeling really tired. I keep telling myself that I know that I will come out a stronger student because of the effort on my part, so that's how I'm getting through it.

You may be wondering about the title of my post this week. Were you ever taught in elementary school the 5 W's: Who, what, when, where, and why? Well, when I was taught this in 1st and 2nd grade, my teachers always added how? to the list- it was said to be the "6th W." To tell you the truth, I thought my teachers had a couple of screws loose, cause umm... "how" does not start with a W. What was I being taught here???

Lately, I feel like I keep asking myself, "Why?" Even in my last blog post, when I talked about how the only thing I could think of when the Book of Gospels wasn't going into it's holder was, "WHYYYYY?" (I still ask myself why about that one- another embarrassing Alex moment to add to the books lol ;)

Why should I be here right now? Why should I be doing so much studying? Why am I so sleepy? Why are people bullied for being true to themselves? So many whys...

And not enough hows.

I feel like we should be saying how more often. Why are we getting such poor grades on a test? Maybe it should be how are we going to get a better score on the next test. Why am I getting 4 hours of sleep a night? Change that to, "How am I going to arrange a way that I can get a few extra hours of sleep tonight." Why am I standing by doing nothing while someone is hurt and suffering? We should make that why into, "How am I going to seek help and support this person during this bad situation." (My fellow blogger, Derek has an awesome post in regards to being a non-silent observer, so if you haven't already, I'd definitely recommend checking it out.)

Thank goodness at SMC, so many of us do ask how every day. We are activists, we are leaders, we are athletes, we are supportive friends and faculty, and we care about each and every one of you, whether you are a student, a High School Senior or Junior, or a Parent. Saint Mike's is a place you can make a difference anywhere, just ask yourself how you can.

To all my readers, stop wasting time on whys and start asking how you can make big or small differences in your life and in the life of others.

Also, never hesitate to send me a question on Formspring or send me a tweet on Twitter- I adore them and love hearing from everyone!!

Until next time, I send you all my best wishes,
Alex :)

PS- expect another blog post on Sunday, since I will be taking a lot of pictures at this year's SMC Harvest Fest and Midnight Madness events :) Soooo excited for it and for you guys to see!!

2 comments:

  1. so great & helpful! I love reading your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, I really appreciate it!!

    ReplyDelete