Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Being Thankful Not Just One Day, but Every Day...

Happy Tuesday Everyone!!

I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving and quality time with your families and friends!! It was amazing spending time with my family and hanging out with my great friends back in New York.

My Thanksgiving went really well!! We thought we might have a situation on our hands when my mom pulled the turkey out of the oven and it was all broken apart, but being the wonder woman she is, my mom managed to salvage it and put it on the table for my Dad, my uncle, my cousin Annie, and myself (it tasted delicious, by the way :).

When I got back to SMC yesterday, I did not have a break. I got to campus at 9:45, brought my suitcase and carry on bag up stairs, unpacked a bit, then ran to class at 10:30 and had classes until 2:30.

Overall... a long day.

Sometimes though, I feel I need to reflect on my life. If you have read my other posts, you can probably tell I get stressed very easily and am a big worrywart. Sometimes, I need to remember the important things in life.

So, even though Thanksgiving has past and the Christmas season is in session around Saint Mike's, I felt like today's post should be about being thankful, not just on Thanksgiving, but every day. We are all lucky to have certain qualities, people, and places in our life, so I'm going to let you in on a couple of mine :)

1) My family- I would not know what I would do without them. They are my support system and always giving me the strength I need to keep doing well in school and in life. I have a small family and even though they are 7 hours away in New York, they continue make up a huge part of my heart.

2) My GCA Girls- in high school (Good Counsel Academy :), I made some of the most outstanding friends a girl could ever ask for. Friday I got to see my amazing friend, Amanda and just relax a bit. Last Wednesday though, when I got to see two of my best friends, Katrina and Jen, in White Plains (where GCA is located and my little NYC) I was a total mess in the middle of Target (yeah... I might have gotten a couple of looks from the workers there lol). I am not one to burst out into tears in the middle of a huge store, but I was just so thankful to see them. Even though I did not get to see all of my friends this break, we talk constantly, and I think we are closer now than we were in high school. I love these girls so much and would not know what I would do without their constant care and open ears to my venting.

3) My SMC Family- what would I have done without my SMC family these 3 months that I have been here? Everyone has been so amazing, welcoming me and making my transition so much easier. From my professors, classmates, to Residence Life, to even my Knight Stand ladies who have nicknamed me Smiley, I am so thankful for your influence in my lives. My SMC friends are the best though!! They are so supportive and such fun people and I am really growing to love each one very quickly :)

4) My Compassion- if you asked me to tell you qualities about myself, I could probably name all the bad ones, but might have to think about the good ones. One thing I wouldn't have to think about is that I am compassionate. I love helping people. It makes me feel amazing. I even know I like giving people presents more than I like receiving them (I still like a little present here or there once in a while though ;) To see someone smile or have them tell you what you have done for them that made their day brighter can make your day brighter too :) Compassion for others is something I love being blessed with and has become a quality I try to embody every day.

5) My Readers- I cannot say how much it means to me when someone lets me know they read my blog and that they enjoy it. I don't think there's even a word to describe how great it feels when you know your words are enjoyed by others. So whether you are an SMC prospective student or parent, a current SMC student, a friend or a family member, I cannot say how thankful I am for you and your support :)

I could continue to write about what I am thankful for, but the list would definitely be too long. To all my readers, just remember, when you get annoyed at your mom for packing an extra shampoo in your suitcase or not telling you that the sugar free cake you would be having at Thanksgiving would taste bad (hahaha- shout out to my mom and dad :) or if school is stressing you out like crazy, take a moment to reflect on what is good in your life, and I bet you, your day will get a little brighter.

Tonight, at 7pm, we are having a Parent's Knight Chat for all of our Prospective Parents to ask questions to our amazing bloggers!! My parents went last year and had many of their questions answered, so if you get a chance, I would definitely stop by!!

If you have any questions or comments, never hesitate to drop me a question on Formspring or VYou, or send me a Tweet on Twitter- they make my day so much brighter :)

Until Next Time, I send you my very best wishes,
Alex :)

PS- Yesterday was a very special day for me. It was the 1 yr. anniversary of me sending in my application and supplement to Saint Mike's!! I applied Early Action II and the deadline is tomorrow, December 1st. So to all St. Mike's applicants, I wish you so much luck :)

7 comments:

  1. Awesome blog Alex! I loved reading it, I am very thankful for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog post, Alex :)
    Very very sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog is so amazing- really makes me want to come to st. mike's (=

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww thank you so much- love to hear that!!

    ReplyDelete