Tuesday, April 12, 2011

The One Thing I Worry About in College...

Happy Tuesday Everyone!!


As you all know, I love SMC and the opportunities I've received here. However, you know what really gets me each semester?


Class Registration.


Now, this is definitely universal. All college students face the challenge of choosing classes that will fulfill both major and LSR requirements and fit the schedule they want. Then, checking every day which classes have been filled up or still open so you have time for altering any changes.


Then, comes Registration morning.


As an incoming first-year, my registration day in July was absolutely supportive and great. You are assigned a professor, usually from your major, that will help you out with any classes you may need to take. They sit with you in the computer lab and teach you exactly what you need to do in order to register properly on Knightvision, our registration program (you'll learn about this more in your Student Information packet in May) You also have other incoming first years around you who are terrific and you'll find yourselves talking about the different classes you're trying to register for.


Even if you send in your registration form through the mail, there is always great support from the SMC faculty to help you in any way.


Then, as you get to SMC, you're assigned an Academic Advisor to just give you support and aid when choosing classes and getting cleared for your registration day. My advisor, who also taught me General Psychology, has really been someone who has been one of my biggest supporters at SMC and you usually find me dropping by his office just for academic support when I feel iffy about a class or where I want to focus my Psych major toward in the future.




However, as you all know, I'm a huge worrywart. So while the registration process is really pretty easy, every registration day, I'm a nervous wreck about getting all the classes I want.




So, this morning, I got up at 6am, sat at my computer to make sure everything was ready for registration.



I then started to do all of my usual Registration Day traditions, which really have helped me a great deal each time I've registered as an Undergrad.




First, I have my handy schedule of all the classes I want to take right by my side. On the back, I also have alternate classes, just in case one of my classes closes. I always try to pick alternate classes that I would be really interested in as well, so if I don't get one of my classes, I'm very excited about my alternate!!








Second, I would definitely recommend a cup of coffee or tea. This morning, I made my roomie, Bri, who was also going through registration today, a cup a coffee and myself, a cup of tea with our Keurig (a definite dorm recommendation :) It not only keeps you energized and awake, but is really comforting as well!!






By now, it's 6:55, you're signing in and beginning to choose the classes you want to register for. Once it hits 7am, press submit, and... wait.



Wait.



Wait.



Yes, by this time, a very nervous Alex is praying that she gets all her classes and watching the little waiting circle go around and around.




And...

I GOT THEM ALL!!!! HOORAY!!!!





Step 3: Jump up and down, high five your roommate, and smile your biggest smile because... REGISTRATION IS ALL TAKEN CARE OF!!





I am so happy with my classes for next semester and while I am sad to see my first year at SMC go by so quickly, I know I'll begin my Sophomore Year with not only great classes, but with great friends, professors, and the SMC family by my side :)


Remember, there is a Knight Chat this Thursday, April 14th, from 7:30-9pm. I'll be there with my other great fellow bloggers to answer any questions you have about SMC. We also have an Accepted Student Day this Saturday, April 16th, which is a terrific opportunity to re-visit SMC and see if you get that "feeling" that it may be the place you want to spend the next 4 years (I really hope you all do :) I'll be there too, so if you see me, feel free to say hi!!


Please never hesitate to ask me a question on Formspring or VYou, send me a tweet on Twitter, or just send me a quick email- I'm always happy to help!!


Until next time, I send you my very best wishes,


Alex :)

2 comments:

  1. I loved this post, Alex! Exactly just as Taylor said, too :)
    There are so many awesome classes at St. Mike's, it would be hard to be disappointed with your choices! And the best part is the small class size...unheard of at most schools.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Mrs. Mills!! It is so true about the small class sizes- one of the main reasons I came to SMC :)

    ReplyDelete