Wednesday, April 6, 2011

A Tour of Dorm Life at SMC...

Happy Wednesday Everyone!!

Just got back from a long day- a Philosophy test, handing in a 8 pg. paper for Adolescent Development, and a problem set in Research Methods. However, I felt really good about all of them and still had a terrific day.


Last week, my great friend, Marci, wrote a blog about her dorm room and had great pictures of what the dorms look like inside. It inspired me to write a blog about living in a dorm in general and certain tips that might help you get adjusted quickly to dorm life :)

When I was incoming freshman, I kept asking myself, "Are there enough sinks and bathroom stalls? What if the hall is way too noisy? What if I trip or get too tired climbing up the stairs? Is there a special place where I dump my trash?"

All my worries quickly went away once I got to Saint Mike's :) So today, I thought I would give you a little glimpse into...A Journey through dorm living!! (in Joyce Hall- my second home :)


Heading up the Joyce Hall stairs!!

Woo!! Made it up to the 4th floor!! (You get used to it really quickly though, no worries :)


Here is my hall- Joyce 4 South :)



When you enter into each wing, there is always a bulletin board of all the opportunities and fun activities going on both on and off campus!!



Welcome to my room!! All of the RA's when you arrive already have cool and creative name tags on your door when you move in. It's a great way to be welcomed "home" and it also allows you to quickly discover which room is yours :)


I would DEFINITELY recommend bringing a white board to put on your dorm door. They're the best ways to leave little messages to floor mates and friends and they add such great flair to your dorm door!! I loved my first week at SMC how many of my floor mates left my roomie, Bri, and I little welcome notes. Can my Class of 2015 readers notice a little special note for them? :)


So, while on college tours, was one of your biggest worries sharing the bathrooms? Well, mine was. Each time I toured a school, I always asked the tour guide if I could see the bathrooms. I just wanted to make sure that everything was in good condition.



Thank goodness, the SMC bathrooms are always cleaned :) Each bathroom usually has 3 or 4 bathroom stalls and 5 to 6 sinks, so there is always plenty of room for the 30 or so people living in each wing.


As you turn the corner, you have your shower stalls!!


Each bathroom also has 4 or 5 shower stalls, which are cleaned daily!!



Right down the hall is my RA, TJ's room. Every wing has an RA, who is there to support them and help them with anything. RA's also help set up really fun activities in the dorms many times during the week and on the weekends. TJ has been so awesome and is really loved by the whole floor :)




Last, but not least, there is a special spot to put garbage- each floor has a trash and recycle room and on move in day, you already have two garbage cans and a recycle bin in you dorm, which is really terrific :)


Life in the dorms, while it may seem daunting, is something you really get used to quickly and a terrific and fun experience!!


Remember, if you have any questions at all, please do not hesitate to send me a tweet on twitter, a question on Formspring or VYou, or just a simple email- I'm always here to help :)


Until next time, I send you my very best wishes,


Alex :)

No comments:

Post a Comment