Thursday, November 8, 2012

Appreciating Home... SMCVT and NY

Happy Thursday everyone!!

First and foremost, I cannot apologize enough for not blogging in so long!! It has really been a busy semester, not only with academics, but with activities and even being a bridesmaid at my friend's wedding!! I think one of the things about any SMC student you'll meet is that we are all busy in our own way because there is never not something to take part or be involved in on and off campus :)

Today, I wanted to talk about appreciating home. As all of you have heard, Sandy hit the east coast pretty hard. While it didn't really hit Vermont, it did hit my home of NY very badly. My parents and so many others were left without electricity, phone service, and heat for days and damage was definitely done.

It was really tough for me. As my wonderful readers know, I always try to be the happiest I can be for everyone around me and have a smile on my face. However, I was definitely struggling to keep my emotions in check after seeing my town and surrounding ones flooded with terrible damage on the news. I didn't have direct access to contacting my parents anytime I wanted and all I really wished was that I was home with them and not hours away not really knowing anything.

Situations like this, unfortunately, happen all the time; however, that feeling of when all you want to do is just be at home with your family and comforted by them is common in all college students, regardless. I remember feeling like this my first weeks of college, where all I wanted to do was be in a familiar place with familiar people and not have to embrace this huge change where no one knew me and I couldn't just be go home at the end of the day. When I'm overstressed and just want my mom or dad to hug me and tell me that I'll get through whatever big test, exam, or problem I have. When things happen at home and I'm not there to be by my family's side as they go through them.

What I've learned to realize though is that I am just so lucky enough to have two homes. As I've been talking about in the past three years (ahh I can't believe that!!) that I've been writing to you all, I always call SMC my second home and it's 100% true. It's not just a place where I sleep, work, and go to school, because that to me is certainly not a home. It is a place where I am pushed to be the best person I can be as a student, friend, and leader. It's a place where I have met some of the best people I have ever known and who if I have a problem at midnight will go to Cumby's, pick up some Ben and Jerry's and have a late night conversation with. A place where I can meet a new, friendly face every day and build opportunities for the future. A place where I can drop into professors or staff offices and not be worried about being formal, but having a place to be myself and talk to them over a cup of tea or lunch.

A place where each and every one of us can make a difference in our own way on this beautiful campus.

So, while I kept saying, "I wish I could be home," I realized that I was home. That even while my family is in NY and I am in VT, they are both always there for me and close to my heart.

I always tell this sort of cheesy story on my tours that when I came to SMC, I bought my first college sweatshirt because I had this whole idea that I didn't want to buy a college sweatshirt until I knew where I was going to call my second home. I ended up buying mine one April day in the SMC bookstore in Alliot and haven't regretted it since.

Home is where the heart is and I'm just lucky enough that my heart has two homes :)

For any of my Class of 2017 readers, a reminder that this Saturday is the Academic Open House and I hope to see you there or even give you a tour!!

If you ever have any questions, never hesitate to send me an email, Formspring question, or tweet on Twitter- I am always happy to help!!

Until next time, I send you my very best wishes,
Alex :)


1 comment: