Monday, January 14, 2013

The Gift of SMC- Best Friends and Birthdays...

Happy Monday everyone!!

Today is the first day of classes for the spring semester and I absolutely love getting back into the hustle and bustle of things!! So far, I've had two classes- Intro to Sociology and Greek, this morning which were terrific ways to start my day and I have two more classes this afternoon, American Protestantism and Historian's Craft, which I'm very excited about as well!!

I got back to SMC at 10:30am yesterday morning after waking up at 5:30am to get to the airport and catch my 9am flight back to Burlington. Since I'm about 45 minutes from JFK, I usually fly to and from school, since it's just more convenient for me. The flight is about 45 minutes, which for me, is better than the 7 hour car ride (Dramamine here I come hahaha :) and also very reasonably priced. What's also awesome is that you usually have someone or a few people from SMC flying with you and can split a taxi with, which is always so much fun!! This time, it was my friend, Lauren Loy. Lauren is one of the most bubbly, hysterical people I've ever met and we've known each other since she was a first year and I was a sophomore. We had so much fun catching up and heading back to campus together, laughing about the tortures of regents exams (as any NY student understands :) and inside jokes.

Of course, when I got back to campus, my best friend, Marci, had just arrived too (best friend intuition? :) which made me so happy!! After I unpacked, I was lucky to reunite with my best friend, Kate, who was abroad last semester in Bath, England, after so many months and KK!! It started becoming a whole hang out as my friends, Anthony, Eleanor, and Mike came over too and it was great to just chill out in my living room and laughing over the silliest things. Afterwards, I went to pick up my books in the Bookstore and of course, randomly saw my wonderful friend, Susanna (which is so like us to do that :) My "child," Taylor, who was working at the bookstore, and my friend, Meg, who just came back from Chile!! I also ended up jumping into my amazing friend, Abbey's arms and hugging her 20 times after not seeing her since she had come back from Austria!!

Yeah, as you can tell, I had a lot of "OMG I LOVE YOU I'M SO HAPPY YOU'RE BACK IN MY LIFE" moments with many of my friends on campus and still have a few more to do...

Later on in the day, I received an unexpected shock- MY DOOR WAS DECORATED FOR MY BIRTHDAY!! I turned 21 last week and could not believe how thoughtful my roommates were!! They didn't stop there, however!! Marci's mom (who, oh my goodness, is the best baker/ cook in the world and is one of my most favorite people ever!!) baked me a pink and purple red velvet cake with sparkles and IT WAS SO BEAUTIFUL!! My best friend, Mary and her family were so nice and bought me a lovely bottle of wine and my wonderful friends, Katie and Chris, got me my favorite chocolates!!  To top it all off, so many of my friends were there to sing me happy birthday!! The night finished off with watching my favorite TV show, Downton Abbey, with my friend Sarah- perfect way to end the day, if you ask me :)

IT WAS WONDERFUL!! I got all emotional and realized just how lucky and thankful I was for such amazing people in my life. See, these things are so common at SMC because we are all such a big family and care so much for each other.

So, to everyone, from my wonderful readers to my amazing friends, thank you so much for all your love and support because it means the absolute world to me!!

If you ever have any questions at all, please never hesitate to contact me via Formspring, Twitter, or email- I'm always so happy to help!!

Until next time, I send you my very best wishes,
Alex :)

PS pictures from the day!!

Gate 5- waiting for my flight to Burlington!!

Lauren and I waiting for our flight!!

Me being silly in the plane before take off :)

MY BIRTHDAY DOOR!!
The Duke and Duchess wishing me a Happy Birthday- DREAM COME TRUE!!

My BEAUTIFUL CAKE and lovely bottle of wine- Thank you so much to the Wood and Cannon families!!

Card and chocolate from Katie!!








No comments:

Post a Comment