Wednesday, April 27, 2011

It's Decision Time...

Happy Wednesday Everyone!!


It is an absolutely gorgeous day on the SMC campus- everyone is lounging on the benches set around and laying out on towels by the library field, something definitely common around this time :) This kind of weather always gets me ready for a great day and I definitely had one today!!


So, this is definitely going to sound cheesy that I even remember this, but yesterday was the 1 year mark of when I decided to send out my deposit and make SMC the place I was definitely going to spend the next four years. While I have loved getting to know many of you on Knightspace and am so excited to be seeing so many of the Class of 2015 writing on the Facebook page that they've sent in their deposits, I was definitely one of the later taters last year.


See, it wasn't that I didn't want to go to SMC. It had been my top choice many months and after visiting again and doing all the examining I thought necessary for each school, I knew it was the place I could my picture myself at.


But making that big decision, sending in the deposit, declaring that this was it... it was scary.


I envied the people who made their decisions 1,2,3 once they got their acceptance and sent in their deposit immediately. I envied my peers who wore their college sweatshirts proudly around school because they wanted to start spreading their school pride, even before they started college.


I just kept saying to myself, "Okay, once May 1st hits, I will finally be able to breathe. I will know what college I'm going to and everything will be set."


I've always been the person who has to research everything before I make a choice. Picking the place where you will grow, not only as a student, but as a leader and a young adult, is huge for any 17 or 18 year old.



My last Open House for the colleges I had been accepted to was two weeks before the May 1st deadline. It was much closer to my home than SMC was and had many similar characteristics. The school was excellent academically and had a lot of the things I was looking for, just like SMC did.


However, like I've mentioned many times before, I didn't get that feeling. When I walked onto the SMC campus that dreary rainy day in March from my Accepted Students Day, I knew.


This school was it for me.



I called my parents into the living room for a family meeting and finally told them- yes, I know, I didn't tell them until I had made my final decision!! I don't think they were too surprised I picked SMC though ;)



So, I'll bring you all back to that April 26th day with some pictures, which I was definitely rocking the shower bedhead PJ look in :)

Hahaha- My mom and I took pictures of my acceptance letters for the schools I didn't choose. While I was so proud to be accepted into all the excellent colleges I applied to, I had to give the "Ehh... this just isn't the place I'm meant to be" face.






Now, we finally get to my SMC things- here is me sending in my deposit money, officially declaring myself as a SMC Class of 2014!!












Here are my letters I sent back to SMC for scholarship and admission :)











Here is my mom and I after we sent out my decision form- she's holding my acceptance envelope, such an aww moment for us :)




Now, I don't know if the Class of 2015 received this cute little SMC frame in their acceptances, but when I received it in mine, I thought it was so sweet and I took a picture of me "picturing myself at SMC" :)




Okay my Class of 2015 readers, this week is crunch time. By Sunday, you'll be able to breathe, knowing you sent in your deposit to the college that you're meant to be at. All I can say is that, you've done the research, went on the tours and visits, and have the acceptances. It is up to you now to decide. Look at the academics, the opportunities, and activities each college provides, but most of all- look to the future and picture yourself at each college and see if it will help you become the person you want to be in four years.



If you have any last minute questions, please never hesitate to send me a Formspring, VYou, an email, or a tweet- I am definitely here for all of my readers going through this time!!

I wish you all so much luck. I am extremely excited to see the Class of 2015 next fall and really hope to see you there :)

Until next time, I send you my very best wishes,
Alex :)

2 comments:

  1. Taking your time isn't such a bad thing! I sent in my deposit the day after i got my letter to my old school! Whoops...Kinda wish I had thought it through just a little more...maybe I would have ended up at SMC all four years instead of transferring in!

    By the way, congrats on your award from the Founders Banquet tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sam!! Congrats to you too on Tour Guide of the Year :)

    ReplyDelete