Sunday, May 18, 2014

Until We Meet Again...

My wonderful readers,

So... this is the blog post I've kind of been dreading. It's something that seems so weird to me- to say farewell to you, my wonderful readers. Everyone has been asking me what I was going to do for a last blogpost- go out with a bang? Do something mushy?

Honestly? I think I'm just going to wing it and let my fingers tap the keys on my keyboard to try to properly express what I want this last Life of a SMC Girl blog post to be about.

Since August 2010, I have had the privilege of being a SMC blogger. Like most people, the blogs were one of the main reasons behind me coming to One Winooski Park. Having the chance to be a part of the program that heavily influenced my college decision was like a dream come true. I still remember getting lost to my first blogger meeting in the Hoehl Welcome Center, being afraid since I was the only underclassman girl there with a bunch of people I didn't know (Thank goodness for Marci later joining me at the meeting) and writing down every single thing I thought I needed to memorize to be a "good blogger" in my two subject notebook. I still remember typing up my introductory blog in Joyce 410 (Thank you to Taylor and Liz for providing me a space to do so) and having everyone I knew (aka my parents) proof read it. I remember downloading Twitter, Blogger, and Google Analytics and having no clue where to start with them, since social media and I were just being introduced at the time. I started writing my blogs on Tuesdays because my best friend, Kate, used to get bored during work study and wanted something to read, even when I didn't think I had much to say. I still thank goodness for @bangs1192 (who later became my best friend, Megan) for being the first person to tell me they liked my blog even though I still hadn't technically met her yet. Or being so excited that actual prospective students at the time like Merrill, Rynne, and Lauren sent me messages that they had read my blog and became the first people outside of my friends and family to tell me how much myself and my blog influenced them back in 2010/11 and are now some of my closest friends

So... Four years later, here I am. One of my favorite SMC professors, Professor Purcell, once put it perfectly- no matter what age or stage of life we are in life, we are always becoming and always learning. I have learned so much these four years at Saint Michael's College, but it is only the beginning. I have a lot of learning and understanding ahead of me, but no matter where I go or what I do, I will always be that SMC girl. I will take all of the knowledge and appreciation I have gained at One Winooski Park and always know that it has made me the not only the best student, the best leader, the best friend that I can be, but most importantly, it has helped me be the best person that I hope to continue becoming the rest of my life.

Though, for these years, I have a great deal of people to thank.

To my Family: Thank you all so much for staying up late hours of the night listening to me complain or cry about everything under the sun and never losing patience with me. Thank you for being my biggest fans and for always making a special trip to the computer just to read my latest blog post or my quirkiest tweet. Your love, constant advice, grammar checks, and support have meant the world to me and I would not be who I am without you.

To my Friends: This blog has helped me meet so many people that I don't know if I would have otherwise. Thank you to my amazing GCA girls, who even after high school took the time to read about my crazy adventures and send me so much support all over the country. To my SMC friends, thank you who motivated and encouraged so many of my posts and encouraged me to vlog and blog all of the insanely crazy or extremely interesting things that were happening. You all made my four years here so special and will always be my SMC family.

To my SMC Professors and Staff: My educators and my biggest supporters in everything. In times of crisis or need of direction, it was you who I turned to so I could understand what was going on in my life. You were the ones who opened my eyes to so many doors and opportunities that I would never have considered otherwise and I thank each and every one of you for playing such a huge role in my growth at SMC.

To SMC Admissions: Without being a part of the Founder's Society or taking part in various Admissions opportunities, I would not be the same person I am today. Admissions helped me to find what I was passionate about and grow in it. Being able to have a part in a prospective student's college journey through tour guiding and being a student ambassador meant the absolute world to me and it's a feeling I will never forget. Special thanks to Mike Stefanowicz, Matt Seklecki, Kath Hackett, Carrie Pratt, Jeremy Brown, and Stephanie Noakes for always being the heart of Admissions for me and for always making my time in Hoehl so hysterically wonderful.

To my SMC Blogs Family: To Suze, Lisa, Miguel, Sarah, Ben, Lauren Kopchik, MP, Nate, MM, SL, MOA, Juliana, Emily, Brendan, Lauren Mazz, and the rest of the SMC blogs crew- You are all such amazing people. Your blogs have inspired me every day and the friendships I have formed with many of you make me so proud to be a part of this phenomenal group. Special thank you to my marketing mentors, Mallory Wood, Gabbi Hall, and Christian Camerota, who played a huge role in helping me to become the best blogger I could be. My most important thank you to my blogger partner in crime, Marci Wood, who I met at my first blogger meeting and messaged me with her phone number that night. Not only have you been by my side throughout my whole blogging career, you are my best friend, my biggest confidant, and my fellow lover of cats- I'm so thankful that the SMC blogging program started our friendship.

My wonderful readers, my biggest thank you goes of course to you. You have been through everything with me. You went through my moments of embarrassment, of adjustment, of trying out new things, of running around all over the place doing everything I could, of silly vlogs, and accomplishment. You saw me grow into the person I am today and see the person I could be. Most importantly though, you allowed me the true honor of getting to know you. To provide you with little glimpses into life at SMC, give some tips, answer some questions, and come along with me on the journey as I went along on yours. I would truly not be me without each and every one of you. As I've always said, this blog has always been about my readers. Whether you were a prospective or current student, a friend, a family member, professor, staff, alum, or just randomly found my blog and kept reading, you have become a part of my heart and will live on in this blog forever. 

Thank you for the extreme honor of being a part in your lives and for allowing me to share my story with you.

From the bottom of my heart, thank you for your part in The Life of a SMC Girl

Until we meet again, all my love, hugs, and best wishes always,
Alex
Your SMC Girl 

No comments:

Post a Comment