Monday, February 28, 2011

Making Me and SMC Healthy Again...

Happy Monday Everyone!!

I just want to apologize for not updating my blog in the past 2 weeks. I have been extremely busy with activities and academics and spent the weekend actually on the SMC Emmaus Retreat (which I'll have a great new post and pictures coming up this week for you :)

Unfortunately last night, as I was finishing up some last minute studying, I began to feel very weak and my stomach began to hurt. While I knew something was wrong, I just thought I would get some rest and be fine for my classes in the morning.

However, when I got up this morning, after a bad night of sleep, I still felt absolutely awful. I've never been sick at college except for a couple of sniffles here and there, so I was scared. I didn't know what was going on with me and I couldn't let anything get worse.

I emailed all of my professors and Dean Wry, the SMC Associate Dean, to let them know I was not going to be able to attend class. I went back to bed and couldn't even sleep because I was just feeling so low.

I decided I needed to go to Health Services. I remember a big thing when I was looking at colleges was my mom asking at every college tour how the Health Services were. Since I'm 7 hrs. away from home, my mom couldn't just drive up to Vermont and bring me home, so she wanted to make sure I had a lot of support on campus if I was feeling sick.

I walked out in the snowy rain to Alumni Hall today, heading to my first appointment at Health Services. As any person who doesn't like going to the nurse or doctor, I was really nervous. Would they know what was wrong with me? Would I be given a good examination? Would they be nice?

My worries stopped as soon as I walked in the door. The receptionist was so kind when I told her it was my first time at Health Services, helped me fill out my sign in card, and explained the whole process of what would occur. She even talked to me about the weather and how I was liking my first year at SMC so I would be less nervous.

When the nurse came to take me to the examination room, she was so sweet. What was even better was that she listened to what I had to say and gave me a very thorough examination, making sure all the bases were covered. I was told I had a GI virus and low blood sugar.

You know, at some schools, that would just be the end of it. They would send you on your way and tell you to just get some rest.

Not at SMC.

The Nurse gave me ice pops (which are really yummy, by the way :) to bring my sugar up, two cans of ginger ale, and a book of what I could eat for the next couple of days. She gave me a hug and told me I would be feeling better in no time.

For any of my readers who are worried about being sick and far away from home, I totally understand. When, I'm sick, I just want my parents to be there to tell me it's okay and take care of me. I definitely wanted that today. However, I was just so utterly impressed by SMC's Health Services and the great feeling of support they gave me, I know if I'm ever feeling sick again, I will not hesitate to go there.

I'm going to head to my bed and try to get some rest. I hope you are all having an amazing day and remember, never hesitate to head to my "Contact Me" page to send me an email or a tweet on Twitter, or a question on Formspring or VYou- I'm always here to help :)

Until next time, I send you my very best wishes,
Alex :)

No comments:

Post a Comment