Sunday, April 20, 2014

Finding the Perfect Place for You... And some #Accepted2smcvt too...

Happy Sunday everyone (and to those who celebrate it, Happy Easter!!)

I hope you're all having a wonderful weekend and enjoying this break. This year, since I'm graduating in about three weeks and having the family come up to explore Vermont then, I decided to stay on campus during this little break to get some work done as the home stretch of papers, finals, and presentations is coming up very soon. Thankfully, Marci staying with me this weekend, as ACPHS doesn't have off for Easter, so we've been enjoying some delicious garlic bread and study sessions together.

Today, I wanted to talk to my wonderful readers about finding the perfect place for you. Now, while my blog is mainly for prospective college students, as I once wrote in my blog bio four years ago, I write for everyone in mind- whether it be my friends from home, my family, alums, prospective and current parents, and of course for those future purple knights.

I think that no matter who you are and where you're going, you should find the place that is right for you.

We are all in different parts of our lives, all trying to look at the pros and cons of each situation that we enter into that will hopefully make us happy in the future. Yet, how do we know what we really want? Sometimes the answer is simple for us- we are able to step into an office or on to a campus and get that feeling of, "Hmm... this seems nice" or "Oh N to the O, this is NOT for me."

The greatest thing about getting into various schools, being presented different job offers, and even having twenty different selections of frozen yogurt options in front of you, is that you have choices- so many opportunities that will hopefully bring you great things.

Making a final choice, however... it isn't always that easy.

The toughest thing about having so many choices is that each choice not only has a different outcome, but has its own pros and cons as well. Each thing offers its own unique opportunities, its own ups and downs, and qualities that make it one of a kind. The thing is though, it has to be one of a kind for you.

My parents, with my college decision, told me these wise words, "You'll get a good education whatever school you choose. It's up to you though to decide to become who you are meant to be." Of course, at the time I was thinking to myself, "Wow, way to help guys, that helps me make a decision... JK!!" It's really true though- choosing a place to spend the next four years for college, graduate school, jobs, etc. will bring you experiences that you could never imagine- it's just about where you will be happiest making those experiences and having those opportunities.

Now for my prospective student readers, I'm not here to tell you to choose Saint Mike's. While I'd love you to come here, that's not up to me. Wherever you choose, I want you to be happy. I want you to love the place you go as much as I love Saint Mike's. I want you to have the endless array of opportunities, broaden your minds with the coolest subjects, go on adventures around campus or in the nearby city. I want you to choose a place where you can see yourself for the next four years growing to be the best student, leader, friend, but most importantly, self that you can be.

As we all know, wonderful readers, making decisions is tough because decisions lead you down different paths and make a huge difference in your life. Sometimes, we can get nervous or scared about the decisions we are about to make- should we adventure out of our comfort zone into something that may bring us great happiness or stay someplace where we feel we have control of our situation?

That is totally up to you.

See the thing about decisions- you're the one to make them. Not your parents, not your friends, not your teachers, bosses, or even me and your pet ferret (I thought I'd be a little out of the box here ;) It's you. We can do our best to help guide you along the way, but at the end of the day, it's you. You know you. You know if you want the big university where you can get lost among the crowds with the city as your campus or the small school where everyone knows your name. You know if you want the ten gyms on campus at your service or the small literary magazine where you can easily work your way to becoming a leader.

You know what you want. You have choices. No matter where you go, you will add to the list of experiences As tough as it is, make a decision which you know you can be confident about. That you know with your mind and heart that you can say, "Yes. This is it. This is what I need to do for me."

So, narrow it down, make that pros and cons list, and flip a coin. Most importantly, take time to think it out. Trust your gut feeling. I know it's tough. I know it's scary. I know it's a struggle, but I also know that you can do it. You can choose that perfect place and you can make the decision that is right for you.

Whatever you choose, know that you will be an excellent addition and that wherever you go, you will gain experiences that will help you to become who you are truly meant to be.

Now, on a less serious note, for those of you who weren't able to make it to an Accepted Students Day or want to relive the experience, I ended up vlogging the whole day (and edited and made fancy my first vlog- yay me!!) . It was my last open house ever at SMC and a fabulous one it was, something I'm so proud to have been a part of.




If you have any questions or just want to say hello, please never hesitate to send me a tweet on twitter, an anonymous question on ask.fm, or shoot me an email- I'd love to hear from you!!

Until next time, I send you my very best wishes,
Alex :)

No comments:

Post a Comment