Wednesday, December 28, 2011

I've just been accepted to smcvt and I was wondering, for a psychology major, are there different tracks students can take, like a clinical track, or are all psych majors taking the same required classes?

There's actually a bit of both!! So, all Psych majors are required 4 classes- Gen Psych (with a 4 or a 5 on the AP Psych test though, you'll receive credit for the class and not have to take it) Research Methods I and II, and History and Issues your senior year. However, you also take many electives as well that fulfill your major requirements in fields or tracks such as clinical, cognitive, social, physiological, and developmental. For me, I've finished 3 of the 4 required classes and since I'm on a clinical/ developmental track, I tend to take more electives in those fields, such as Abnormal Psych, Child Development, and Adolescent Development. However, that doesn't mean I have to take only the classes in my desired field. This semester, I'm taking Behavioral Neuroscience because it interests me and also fulfills a lab requirement. The Psych major at SMC is awesome because it gives you a lot of space to do what you want with it and your advisers help you set up a plan as soon as you get to school :)

Here are the requirements and the classes offered at SMC: http://catalog.smcvt.edu/preview_program.php?catoid=14&poid=1125&returnto=225

Best of luck to you and congratulations on your acceptance to SMC!!

Feel free to ask me anything about SMC :)

No comments:

Post a Comment