Monday, January 2, 2012

Two Decades...

Happy Monday everyone!!

I hope everyone is having a wonderful start to the week and of course, an amazing start to 2012!! Today is a really special day for me, something I guess I've kind of been... apprehensive of the past couple of weeks.

It's my 20th birthday :)

Happy graduation day 2010!!
Do you guys remember when you were younger and just couldn't wait to be big kids? When you got all mad when your parents would say to you, "I'll tell you when you're older" or "You can do that when you're older." I remember feeling so cool when I turned 6 and could count my age on two hands instead of one. I remember I felt so much older when I reached 10 because I was turning a "double digit" age and could swear I was getting taller. At thirteen, I was officially a "cool" (I use that term loosely, because I was actually quite awkward and to this day, a proud little nerd :) teenager, ready to wear makeup, go to school dances, and have crushes on the cute boys that were in my class. In high school, I couldn't wait to turn 16 and get dressed up with my best friends to go to sweet 16 parties and get my permit. At 18, I couldn't wait to buy my princess dress and go dance the night away at prom and graduate from high school, then spend my summer trying to fit in as much fun as possible with my family and friends, and head off to a college that was just perfect for me in August.


 
Baby Alex!!
Sometimes, when I'm busy with work or pulling all nighters studying for a big exam, I wish I was still a kid. I wish I could still have tea parties with my Barbies or just have to color a picture without going outside the lines for homework. I wish I could still have recess where I would have contests with my friends to see who could go the highest on the swings, have nap time on my favorite white and red blanket, or go on play dates with my classmates. Most of all, I wish that life were sometimes as simple as it was back then, when things were just black and white, without the gray of adolescence and young adulthood in between. 


 I know many of my readers who are going through or have gone through the college process know how much growing up is done, how nervous you can get, and how sometimes, even though you're excited for the changes you'll be going through, you don't know if you're ready yet. That's definitely how I was feeling these past couple of weeks about turning 20. I'm the big kid that I always wanted to be and getting out in the world, but I sometimes wish I could go back to that cute little kid in pigtails and not deal with all the stress.

Looking back on it all though, I wouldn't change a thing. Each year is a blessing to me. It's a time of change, it's a time of growth, and it's most definitely a time of learning. I have a family that has always loved and supported me. I have the best friends a girl could ever ask for. I've received an amazing education, tried to  spread as many smiles and a helping hand as possible, and have gained so many experiences in these past years. I cannot wait for where the future takes me.

I'm definitely ready to be 20 :)

I thought I'd include a little picture timeline of my life- it kind of goes with the ages that I spoke about in this post!!

Me at 3 with my cat, Max!! I actually included this photo for my best friend, Marci, because we both love cats!!











Me at 6- I was rocking the purple look!!
Me at 10 :)
Sweet 16!!



Elegant 18!!
20!!!!!!!!!


If you have any questions, please always feel free to ask me- I'm only a Formspring, Tweet, or email away, and I love hearing from my wonderful readers!!

I'd also like to do a shout out to one of the very first supporters of my blog and one of my best SMC friends, Megan, whose 20th birthday was yesterday- love you Megan!!

Until next time, I send you my very best wishes, 
Alex :)

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely love this post Alex! Especially the photo of you and Max - SO CUTE!!!!! :D

    ReplyDelete