Thursday, August 15, 2013

It Happens...

Happy Thursday everyone!!

First of all, I just want to start off by saying how much I love talking to the Class of 2017 on Facebook. Being able to help you guys out, give advice, or just a friendly word has been an amazing experience for me, not only as a blogger, but as an upperclassmen. I cannot wait to meet you all and most of all, can't wait for you to be at SMC!!

Today, I want to talk about what a lot of you may be experiencing, especially this week, since next Thursday, you'll all be at One Winooski Park starting your college experience. Today, it's all about the worries of getting adjusted to college and the worry of homesickness.

My wonderful readers know that while I'm really bubbly, friendly, and love SMC, I can also be a nervous wreck and shy sometimes when it comes to new things, even with a place that I love.

I'm going to take you back to August 2010, when I was an incoming first year. I was utterly excited. Things like buying new bedding, picking new clothes, and even getting my bright pink laundry bin brought a smile to my face. It wasn't really because I was getting those things (even though I do love shopping :) that made me the most excited though- it was the fact that I knew I was going to the place that I was meant to be. The place I was going to spend my next four years learning new subjects, meeting great new people, being a part of great new clubs, exploring new places, going to Alliot in my pajamas, but most of all- finding myself, as a student, a friend, and a leader.

I was definitely counting down the days until SMC!!

It was weird though- I think for every bit of excitement I felt, I still felt nervous. From things such as, "Will I adjust okay to my classes? Do Professors teach a lot differently from high school teachers? Will I be able to handle my course load and have enough study time?" to things such as, "I'm going to miss my friends so much, this has been such a great summer, am I ready for it to end? I'm going to miss my home- from my mom's home cooking to being able to snuggle with my pets after a long day or being able to hug my parents and have them tell me it's going to be okay."

I don't know if I'm ready to say goodbye to what I know...

I was totally a bunch of mixed emotions that I really didn't know how to deal with. To tell you the honest truth, I set off for Vermont at 1am on August 26th crying- I couldn't even tell if they were tears of excitement or tears of sadness. I think they were a mix of both.

When I arrived at SMC after 7 hours of driving, I was greeted with a bunch of excited cheers, whistles, and "Honk if you love SMC!!!!!" signs. I was helped by the sweetest O-Leaders with everything from bringing up all of my things to helping me on where to go. Had my RA, floormates, and upperclassmen knocking at my door to welcome me to SMC. Played icebreakers with my O-Group, who were all really terrific and went to all the orientation events with an open mind. 

I was really enjoying myself!!

My first day of classes was amazing- a couple of my floormates were in Gen Psych with me and we sat together, which made me feel so much better. In my Spanish class, we played "Simon Says" en espanol, and in my Peace and Justice FYS, my professor knew my name by the end of the class, discussed world events, and I met fourteen other freshmen going through the same things as me. It was awesome!!

Does that mean I didn't get homesick? Does that mean I still wasn't intimidated by college work?

Absolutely not!!

What's so important for first year's to know is that it is okay to feel this way. You're in a new place and meeting new people. You are definitely not alone in feeling this way.

I don't care what anyone tells you, if you need to call home- do it. If you need to run around campus to get out nervous energy- do it. If you need to just vent to someone about what you're going through, don't hesitate.

The thing is that you can't let it get the best of you and don't let it hold you back. College is a whole new world and you are a part of it. So, get involved with things on campus, go to orientation events, keep your door open and talk to floormates about getting together for dinner or a movie night, don't hesitate to participate in discussions or study groups, and open yourself up to new possibilities. I can guarantee it will work and you will realize just how amazing SMC really is :)

Also, remember that you will be surrounded with people who are here to help you get adjusted. From upperclassmen, professors, counselors, directors of activities you want to be involved in and RA's to even the lovely motherly Knight Stand ladies who help you out with your Knight Card (another Alex moment I'll let you all in on another day :) we are here to help, so don't hesitate to come to us.

I wish you all sooooooo much luck x100. I know you will all be an amazing new addition to the SMC family!! I'll actually be around at orientation, stopping by dorms to bring cookies and water to everyone or in Ross at the VITA table, so if you see me, please don't hesitate to stop by and say hello, get advice about anything, or a hug from me :)

Remember, if you have any questions, don't hesitate to tweet, email, or ask me an anonymous question on ask.fm- I'm always happy to help.

Until next time (or I guess in 7 days!!), I send you my very best wishes,
Alex :)

2 comments:

  1. Great post, Alex! Looking forward to more of your posts about SOPHOMORE year :)

    ReplyDelete