Tuesday, April 30, 2013

It's Time: The Big Decision, Class of 2017...

Happy Tuesday everyone!!

I hope everyone is having a wonderful start to the week!! I cannot believe that this will be my last Productive Tuesday as a Junior here at SMC!! I'm not being very productive at the moment, looking at Royal Wedding photos (yes, I'm a Will and Kate fangirl hahaha!!) instead of doing the edits on one of my final papers. I am though going to extremely miss my usual routine- my time in the library seeing my BFFs, Sarah and Josh, and saying a big hello to Mr. Payne, SMC's awesome library director, in the morning, going to the gym to work out my stress, my weekly tour, and of course my weekly blog hangout with my wonderful readers!! It's now one week until I have my last final and say goodbye to SMC for the summer and it's really surreal.

Why, you may ask?

Well, I guess you can say I still sometimes feel like I'm a Senior in high school. That I'm back in White Plains, NY in my GCA uniform and complaining to all of my GCA girls on how it's the end of April and I'm still trying to figure out where to call my second home.
I couldn't get a good picture of me in my uniform, but here's one with me and my best friend, Jen, on the day I sent in my deposit to SMC!!

The college process is always tough, no matter what stage you're in. It's time consuming and it's tiring and a whole lot of writing. Those moments when you find out you've received some of those big beautiful acceptance letters are some of the best in the world, but then it comes to deciding and narrowing down your choices and that's just a whole lot of stress.

Going on all the tours. Doing all the Open Houses. Eating the food. Talking to students and professors, trying to retain every single thing about the school and forming pros and cons list with everything you can possibly remember about it? Yep, you're not alone.

It was a really difficult time for me. Did I want to go to college? Absolutely!! Did I want to find a second home? Of course!! The thing was though, after narrowing it down, doing all of the things I was supposed to, I was still... undecided. Torn, even. I just wanted to decide, knowing that whatever school I would pick would be the right fit and that I would spend the best four years of my life there- growing, being accepted and supported, and just feel like I was a part of something amazing that would help me to be amazing in the future.

It was coming down to the final days before May 1st and I still had no clue. I was actually talking to my new friend, Kassidy, about this last weekend during the Accepted Students Open House. I'm the first person not to sugar coat picking a college since I myself had a tough time deciding. I remember using up way too many tissues crying, screaming, curling up with my Twilight book, and eating maybe one or two or you know what, YOLO five pints of Ben and Jerry's (sign that I was meant to be in VT? What can I say, that Strawberry Cheesecake always gets me ;) because I was so unbelievably stressed. This on top of getting through my senior year academics and activities just made me into a big ol' mess.

Mama Byrne pic with my acceptance letter :)
Finally, on April 26th, I decided on SMC/ Brought my sweatshirt, sent in the deposit, and was officially a member of the Class of 2014.

Looking back on it three years later, I am so grateful I went through this. Did it stink? HA big time, but it was really just so worth it. If I hadn't had done all that research, visited all my top schools, and made sure to talk to my family about logistics (financial aid, opportunities each school could provide me with, etc.) I may be at a totally different school today.

My Class of 2017 readers, whether you have decided on joining the SMC family or another school, I want to congratulate you. You have come this far and you should be so unbelievably proud of yourselves. It's taken a lot of hard work and dedication, but you've gotten this far and you will be sure to get even farther. While I wish I could be there to give you each one of you a hug and tell you that you're not alone in your excitement, stress, nervousness, or whatever you're feeling right now, I can tell you that it will be okay. That whatever you decide is the best decision for you and no one else. As long as you've gone through each of your top schools and know that you get that "feeling" at a certain school, then that is what matters. Choose the school that will help bring out every single thing that makes you amazing and you will forever be grateful for it.

Please know that I support and adore each and every one of you. My wonderful readers, I truly would not be me if I didn't have you to read about my silliness, my mistakes, my favorite moments, and overall my time at SMC. I share this with you and because of that, always know if there is anyway that I can help, whether it be a tweet on Twitter, an email. or a question on ask.fm, I am always willing to help you in any way I can.

Best of luck, Class of 2017 readers. Wherever you choose, I hope you love it as much as I love SMC.

Until next time, I send you my very best wishes,
Alex :)

PS Congratulations to those who have made your decision to become a part of the SMC family!! Remember if you haven't to become a member of the Class of 2017 Facebook Page!!




No comments:

Post a Comment